ESP: Assignment 1 (Group Work) February 27, 2011Posted by I Made Sujana in ESP: Assignment 1 (Group).
ENGLISH FOR SPECIFIC PURPOSE (ESP)
[I Made Sujana]
ü Read your lecture notes and handouts before you answer the following questions!!!!!!
ü A group consists of 2 students (on your own choice)
ü Cheating will cause failure for both sides!!!
PART A: THEORY
|1.||(a) What is ESP?; (b) What make the ESP approach preferable in current language training?|
|2.||The central issue that needs to be considered in ESP is learner’s need. (a) What is the meaning of needs?; (b) How can the needs cause conflict on the designing of an ESP course? (Provide examples to support your argument!)|
|3.||Hutchinson & Waters (1993) liken the designing of an ESP course as a journey/route of traveling. What does it mean? (Provide examples to support your argument)|
PART B: THEORY & PRACTICE
Study the following data and then answer the following questions.
Number of Students
|: Students of Agriculture
|Course Objective in Curriculum:
At the end of the course, students are expected to be able to read English textbooks on agriculture (Upper-Intermediate to Advance Level/4000-5000 words)
|Results of Pre-Test:
87% Basic; 13% Elementary & Pre Intermediate)
|Data from Interview:
Most of the students (85%) want to improve their speaking ability; 8% learn grammar; 7% learn Reading and Vocabulary.
4. What are the necessities, lacks and wants in the data provided above?
5. Do the necessities mentioned in the curriculum have strong position in our education context?
6. Can you achieve the target need mentioned in the curriculum? (Consider from students’ level, number of credit, number of students, etc.)
7. In your opinion, what are the ideal objectives of learning English for students of Agriculture?
8. How would you design the course based on the data given? What bases would you use to design the course? (necessities, lacks, wants or other considerations)
9. Since they are still in the first semester – they don’t have any background knowledge on their own field – will you introduce them with the specific vocabulary in the area they study?
IN GENERAL, WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS IN DESIGNING THE COURSE USING THE DATA PROVIDED????
Due date: Saturday, March 19, 2011 at 12.00